The Work Plan

Monday, November 5, 2012

Preschool Prehistory

The kids here have enjoyed our circle time activities immensely. They have learned to identify important history concepts such as What is today? What was yesterday? and What day will it be tomorrow?  Also they have been paying close attention to what the older students have been doing with their Time Line of Life activities. I thought it would be fitting to add some Dinosaur fun to their day.

Here are a few activities that I added to the classroom to jump start this interesting time in history.

You have to start out with a good book right? When I saw the new 20th Anniversary of Dinosaurs Before Dark in full color I knew I had to introduce them to the Magic Tree House books. They are going to love it, the pictures are fantastic! The chapters are short and sweet.

 Our Dinosaur Dig. Individually they will dig out the skeleton of a T-Rex and together we will put the bones together to build it.
 Adding some science in and review of solids, liquids, and gases they will erupt volcanoes with vinegar and baking powder and match dinosaurs.
 Weighing rocks. The scale isn't heavy at all, they will still be able to work on a mat or table and discover some amazing rocks along the way.

 I plan to reintroduce the Baric Tablets, just maybe with weighing rocks they might become interested in this material again.

If everyone brings in their pictures this week we will also make personal time lines. I think we are going to have some fun with this. I'll be sure to post any new work we add to our studies. By the way this is my 500th post!! I am glad that I have continued this journal of our classroom fun.

I am linking this post to Montessori Monday.                                                               

                                                                             

1 comment:

  1. What awesome activities! And congratulations on your 500th post! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Dinosaur Unit Study Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/dinosaur-unit-study/

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate Your Comments