The Work Plan

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Art Labs For Little Kids



Some time in the near future I will be offering art classes to children 3-6 years old. At first I was going to outsource and hire a teacher that had more experience and talent to lead the classes.

                                                                               
After browsing through the library and bookstore I found exactly what I was looking for. Art Lab For Little Kids written by Susan Schwake makes teaching and exploring art with children easy peasy. The book is broken down by units.

Unit 1- Dedicated to setting the stage for art. It details how to organize art space, what materials are essential, and the positive attitude you need to possess to explore art with little ones.
Unit 2-  Drawing
Unit 3- Painting
Unit 4- Printmaking
Unit 5- Sculpture
Unit 6- Mixed Media

There are 52 lessons that are beautifully detailed along with stunning photos of the lesson unfolding. There are suggestions to extensions to the lessons that allow older children to be involved in the lesson as well. Each lesson highlights an artist too. I feel so confident in giving lessons to art classes to young children since reading this book. I highly recommend it! 

I'll be sure to share the fun when our classes begin.

Another note, this is just my opinion not intended to serve as a review of the book as we haven't completed any lessons. Just something I wanted to share just in case there is anybody else that feels that they can't teach art because of lack of experience or talent.

3 comments:

  1. I have not seen this book before...thanks for sharing.

    I did want to let you know about an art book that I absolutely love! I purchased it from Montessori Services and it is called "Let Out the Sunshine". It is extremely inspiring and, in my opinion, very in line with the Montessori Method. My children and I have had some amazing experiences using the information provided in this book.

    I just wanted to share this with you from one homeschooling mom/teacher to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh! Thank you!! I hadn't heard of this book before, on my way to check it out.

      Delete
  2. Because you are so sweet, I have nominated you for a blog award.
    http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/super-sweet-blogging-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate Your Comments