The Work Plan

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

How A House Is Built

       This week we have been reading  How A House Is Built  By Gail Gibbons. We have been reading a few pages at a time, the story is well written but I would lose the childrens' attention quickly due to some concepts that need to be talked about like the word Architect if we would read the book at one sitting. Of course the children have questions along the way so we are pacing ourselves I am still learning how to use amazon to get the picture of the book. So I took a photo of the book.
                                                              

               
This dollhouse and the paper house is some of our work for our studies on houses. The paper house holds the parts of the house cards.

                                       
The children label the house with the cards. The cards have the parts of the house colored, so the child knows to match the part of the house to the part that is colored. I have attached velcro so they can do this. Also the tape on the dollhouse is a control of error.




                                           
                                              Here is a close up of the parts of the house cards.


                             This is a language work on the shelf. The child matches the tools.


                                            This is how the work looks when it is completed.

                                                                         
  Please visit Children Grow,Children Explore,Children Learn  to see how other children are studying Geography and History.

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea for geography. Letting them see how a house is built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an architect and I think these are beautiful activities :) I've a book written for children about construction and architects. I'll write about this book as soon as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I never thought of doing something like this for geography, but it makes so much sense! Thank you for joining in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the parts of the house activity. Neat.

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate Your Comments