The Work Plan

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Toddlers Language Shelves: Lets' Read

This week I added new works to the language shelves for the toddlers. Yesterday I received really pleasing responses from them while doing their works. I overhead Jessica saying to one of her friends "I am doing what Lil be doing" while working with the sandpaper letters. Lil is Jessicas' big sister. Jessica was so proud of her work and her ability to do "big works".


The sandpaper letters along with leapfrog fridge phonics. I love this learning tool from Leapfrog. The children did exactly what I thought they would do. They would push the button to hear the sound while they traced the sandpaper letters with their fingers. This helped them to do this work independently while hearing the sound pronounced correctly.


                    Their sand tray.
                                
                                 
                            I spy basket.
                                
                                     
                              The materials inside.

                                                                                        
                        Scoop and lace letters.

                                                               
                            Their book basket with puppets.


 I have planned activities to go along with the book basket. I am taking it one day at a time with preparing language materials for them. I don't want to over do it, so I will be very observant before I make my next move .                                                                                                            

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those ideas!

    Could you explain me what is the spy basket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing these activities...I am trying to put together a language section for my daughter and this help me a lot!!! Thanks!! Love all your activities

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like leapfrog brand as well! good tools!
    thanks for sharing
    \patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great activities. The book basket with puppets is my favourite ;-) I love to combine some drama activities to go along with a book. Can you comment on what is Montessori stand on drama activities? Thanks in advance. Ewa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for leaving very supportive comments!!

    Ewa: I cannot comment on Dr. Montessoris' belief on drama activities from everything I have been able to read it just isn't clear enough for me to make a statement about. I do believe that the wonderful Dr. Montessori was for activities that was child led, and inspired by the child.

    Natym: The "I Spy" game is the beginning stage of oral language. It is a game that can be played even in the car. The objects that I have in the basket all begin with the focus sounds that I introduced the toddlers to. It goes something like this.. I spy with my little eye something that starts with "C" then you will say the sound and the child finds that object. I tend to change it up a little. For example the object cow. I would say I spy with my little eye something that says "moo". The child will find the cow and then I may ask them if they know what sound cow starts with? It is a fun game that you can definetly get creative with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok love this. I have that fridge phonics set and never thought to put it with sandpaper letters!!

    How old are your toddlers? Mine is 2.5 and I have just been thinking about some simply language activities for his shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI! Kylie thank you for stopping by. All of the toddlers are 2.5, with the exception of one who will turn two in April.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much for your explaination! :)
    That game is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the I spy basket idea!

    Thanks for this post. This about where I am with Ella. So, it is very helpful to me.

    She has been using her sandpaper letters quite often. So, I may try to have her trace in the sand.

    Take care,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate Your Comments