The Work Plan

Friday, July 30, 2010

Continent Dolls

                         Michelle and Ken have been inspired by these beautiful magnetic dress-up dolls.


They are Sugar & Spice Fashion Girls: Around the World  made by innovative kids.
They are really cool and comes with over 100 outfit combinations. The board book that is included shows the dolls from different countries and how to speak the greeting words from that countries language. Also it touches on something that is specifically from that country. 

Here is a picture of the back of the book . It has a picture of 10 different girls, a listing of how to say hello, goodbye, and my name is in the language from that country. The pronounciation key is under each word.



Now they have been very interested in creating their very own doll from one of their favorite continent.
Ken has chosen North America, she loves Hawaii. Michelle has chosen Asia.

Here are some materials that they will be using.



Here is Michelle practicing her sewing skills.



They have been working on their dolls for hours trying to get them just right. They have been measuring their material , creating patterns. This has been very fun to sit back and watch their creative minds at work. Oh yeah they have even been researching more about their continent to get the dresses to be unique to the continent. 
                                                                   
                                                                       

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your blog and am now following. My son is two and I'm considering either home schooling him or enrolling him in a Montessori school. What a great idea with this board book--what a fun way to get kids interested in different cultures and traditions. Plus, they can learn the most pertinent lesson, and that is...it's okay to be different. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi—wonderful blog! I was quite taken with the sewing machine Michelle is using to make the outfits. I would love to find something like that for my little girl. Currently she uses my machine, but I would really like to set up her own area where she can use it more freely. Would you mind sharing what type of machine it is? Where did you buy it? Do you know the model? Thanks for any clues you can offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your comments. The sewing machine is made by Singer. If you live by a Hobby Lobby you are in luck. I can't tell you the model number,this was purchased a few years ago. I can tell you that Hobby Lobby still sells this sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great to see them so motivated by something.... my daughter loves to sew and I can't wait til she's old enough to try a project herself... please post the finished dolls!!

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how cool is that. Is that metal? I'm going to have to check out my local Hobby Lobby to see if we have it.

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate Your Comments